Monday, June 27, 2011

“Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can - there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did.” -sarah caldwell


6-27
Saturday- Day 4 We went to Mancura to visit the beach. The bus ride almost took 4 hours, of which brought haunting memories of trying to sleep on the plane but finding every position uncomfortable so I ended up reading. One of the girls in the group brought the Alchemist… so I read that… of which I recommend to any person. It was a pretty place. The beach was awesome because the waves were huge. We got washed to shore a couple of times. And we saw the sunset… beautiful… except I turned my head and it disappeared… so quickly. My favorite part of the day though was meeting like 10 peruvian girls who were on a trip to the beach for the day. Two of the girls were extra friendly and talkative. One was as tall as one of the girls in our group (6 feet) and they quickly became bffs. She (Peruvian) said she came mancura just to meet the girl from our group. Haha they were cute and we exchanged facebook info. Good thing for facebook, it is a worldwide connector. I bought a hat from a lady. I was looking at it, and she roped me in. I told her I didn’t need it, but she said she needed me to buy it so she could have food for her family. I also got a flower necklace from the best salesman ever… he wouldn’t let me say no. But I bargained real good for it and got him down 50%... I was proud. One man from Russia took a group picture for us…he was really nice… but that made me sad… because he was sitting by himself and I was thinking how it would be lonely if you didn’t have anyone to share your traveling experiences with. So I added to my bucket list experience all the experiences listed with someone else… share memories. Because when you share it, its much richer. I also didn’t love the beach scene. I wished I could be playing with the girls in the girls only orphanage. You know how in some environments you feel so comfortable and right in your zone and other times you feel out of place. Well, I am thinking it is my pride, but I don’t find very much enjoyment or comfortableness in traveling to places that please the eye. There has to be a bigger purpose in it. There has to be more than climbing Manchu picchu or else when the climb is done, the energy is gone, the feelings are over and you just have pictures to remind you. And then there are 150 girls with no parents to care for them who wish to go there but can’t.  When it doesn’t seem fair, I re-organize priorities. Those reminders feel so crucial to remembering what’s important. That is why I am already scared to for home. Because its so easy to fall into the ease of life and forget the faces that are dark from working in the sun all day to support the family. But when you see it every day, you always remember. Then again, I wouldn’t want to cut out the fun things either because those make for very good memories. Like the Brasov/Bucharest trip in Romania, we could have stayed in the hospital and orphanage for a whole other week but we became so much closer as a group and had a lot of fun together... also seeing some really cool stuff. So sometimes it is really blurry. Blurriness makes you question though and I think that questioning is what is important because it keeps you thinking and remembering.

Day 5 Today was a beautiful Sunday! We walked to church and walked in when they were singing the opening hymn. Hermana Luzby (of which I have to add that she is a really genuinely good-hearted person. Its been 3 days and she has tweaked my heart. We sat next to Hermana Luzby and I tried really hard to concentrate on what people were saying to understand. But my eyes got droopy and I found my mind wandering to stay awake and lost from one thought to another. However, I really liked the last one that talked about having a relationship with God. I needed to hear what I could understand. Then I met a mom and her little girl. The girl was quiet. The quiet/timid children are ones with really sweet parents and the ones that are go-getter children who carry on conversations are most of the time from parents who let their kids have a good amount of free-range. In Sunday school we talked about the Spirit and read from John 15,16,17. I switched my scriptures with the person sitting next to me and read in espanol. When the teacher called on him to read he was like oh yes I can read but can’t understand because its in ha English! On my other side were two girls who were giggly and very friendly. One of them asked if I could help her come to the united states. I hate that question. Because I don’t know what to say or do. I would like to help, but that is something that is way over my head so most of the time I disregard it and try to find positive things about their own country. I told her I didn’t know how the process worked, which I don’t but I am sure I could have researched it. I told her I know how to get from the US to peru but not peru to the US. She told me not to tell anyone we had that conversation… sketchy? That confirmed to me that I should keep up the ignorance act. The youth had to use the relief society room so the RS was packed into a kitchen. So we ended up going to the nursery because not enough space. Which no worries, I had no problem with. There were twin girls and a little boy. One girl was really shy but the other quickly warmed up. The teachers helped the boy sing primary songs for us. He was 3… so cute… especially the snowman one. One of the twins climbed right into my lap…. Of which I loved. And we played and put stickers on her face and on the table. Then an hour after church ended we arrived home. I talked with the older sister of the little boy from the nursery on the walk home. She was very patient with my language barrier and I was very grateful. We had the whats your favorite conversation…then I stayed outside and played with the neighbor kids for several hours. We at first talked… and I got really overwhelmed with not being able to understand what they were saying… and feeling hopeless to learning. But patience let me feel hope when I pulled out a dictionary and understand her better. We played circle games like musical chairs and ring-a-round-the-rosie. I did her hair in a braid. Listened to them sing, watched them play a Peruvian game. One of the little boys had asthma and an enhaler. He had a coughing fit and spit up some food or colorful looking stuff. It made me scared. So we had him sit down and take a breather and use his inhaler. He had this huge watch on his wrist that he was really proud of and it was really cute. He was 4 or younger. Then the mom of another boy came out and we talked with her who is almost due (from pregnancy) and she brought us apples to remember her…so sweet. They loved the camera. One of the boys sang a song for the camera. There is a car mechanics shop right next door and the men were just watching us and it was weird… I wish I could know what they are thinking. One of the mechanics was the tio of two of the kids. One of the girls from our group left today after a delicious meal of rice, chicken, spicy sauce and chocolate pudding. We will all miss her a ton. She is one of those people that is quoted a lot by everyone around her. Unfortunately tom is here though. I will try to stay sanitary.  I cant wait to see ‘my’ kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment